Keep in mind that the 'big 3' in techno met up in high school out
in Belleville, which is pretty suburban.

Life in inner city Detroit is pretty desparate, and despite the positive
changes to the city in the past few years, life is NOT getting better for
a lot of Detroit residents. The cuts to the school are draconian, and
criminal.  They further degrade one of the very few positive things the
government does to help poor people improve their lot.