From: "J. T." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>what?? there's no reason for a gd repress to be $17. f that. i
aint buying
>it. i'll wait to pick up a dozen other classics for the same
money at a
>secondhand place.

but will you get this record? its certainly not easy to come by
used for nothing. im sure some people will have their stories, but
in a smaller city like pittsburgh, theres pretty much zero chance
of me coming up with that record.

>there's loads of other classics out there...
>i dont think there are many positive ramifications of pricing
records this
>way.
>it is supply and demand yes, high price to make as much profit as
possible
>because demand is not that great.

demand IS that great though! like i said=, all the distros with it
that ive seen (unique, watts, and 161) were out of it within hours
of having it in. and that was at a price of $10 wholesale!

>those who want it want it bad enough to
>pay the retarded price. it's a kinda shady way to hype your
product: it
>costs a lot -- it must be good! it's worth it! well maybe, but
it's not
>worth 3 times the price of other new records

when the only other way to get it is through ebay, its worth that
by far. and i dont think this record needed any more hype than it
already has from being an excellent record.

>especially not for a repress.
>even from a collector standpoint..all glory is to the original
pressing,
>traditionally represses arent worth much, they even devalue.

im not worried about my records being worth anything. i just want
good music on vinyl. and if you think about it, paying ebay prices
for this 12" not only hits my wallet hard as hell, restricting my
purchasing of other new records, but it also gives no more money
to the artist. this way im getting a record i want for cheaper
than it is avaliable, and at the same time im giving money to the
label and artist who deserve it instead of some bozo on ebay.
whats the problem here?

also, AFAIK theres no difference between the repress and the
original. in 20 years, no one will know or even remember which one
is which.

>you cant put a
>price on good music, but there is a standard price for records
so...
>overall i think this trend stinks. leaves buyers with a smaller
budget for
>other new records, gives these high-priced "classics", new
peacefrogs etc,
>somewhat undue priority with your wallet.

the peacefrog joints are a whole other story. those are tunes with
no prior track record. i think that practice is a little weak,
really. i havent paid for one of their private presses yet. but im
much more willing to pay for records that i know and want that are
hard to get ahold of. their rarity and goodness is established,
not created.

>nice marketing trick but makes the
>vinyl market even more exclusive, and harder for smaller labels
to stay in
>the game. generally takes some joy out of buying new records.

it hasnt taken one tiny bit of joy out of me finally being able to
own 4 jazz funk classics. if nothing else, im extremely excited.
if pressing small numbers and charging high prices will convince
people to repress hard to find classics, im ALL FOR IT. if carl
repressed each of the retroactive records at that price, id buy
each and every one of them.

>whatever.
>props to clone for repressing glass domain with a normal pricetag.

its cool when people do it some other way, but ill take the
records i want how i can get them, as long as it isnt for hundreds
of dollars on ebay.

tom

andythepooh.com