> Personally, I could care less about originality.  I'm only interested in
> quality.  Give me a 4 chord pop song.  As long as it's GOOD, I'm
satisfied.

problem is that while criterias for newness are fairly easy to come up with,
criterias for quality in art etc are impossible to state without being
matters of subjective taste.

> Frankly, it's dead easy to make something "new", as long as you're not
> concerned about making it good.

i disagree strongly. to produce something genuinly new in the field of  art,
ideas and concepts is impossible. to produce something new to the possibly
greatest degree is very very hard.

i think originality is the only criteria for artistic value.

now the question is: is it art or entertainment? entertainment should not be
very new, because otherwise it wouldn't entertain.