Your reference to two poles- originality and quality sorta
makes sense, but the 'quality' still leave a lot of room for subjective
thinking.

According to the 'music listening' class I once took, humans judge music
based on novelty vs. familiarity.

Too much familiarity- its dull

Too much novelty- its noise

But obviously different people's novelty/familiarity thresholds are
different.

Then- you start to factor in the non-music influences (ie- interviews,
books, E-MAIL LISTS) and how they color your impression of a type of music
(techno=future) and how those impressions subsequently produce standards
for music beyond resonable expectation (Americana, by definition, never
has to worry about constantly sounding futuristic)

whatever- not my most well thought out statments, but Dinosaur L in the
backround has me distracted with its goodness.