I didn't suggest that the environment _absolutely_ shapes the music that
is produced there, nor did I suggest that the environment _absolutely_
shapes one's listening experience either. Just an influence. I'm sure I
can think of various successful artists/records in the SF area that are
dark and edgy (goodness, I am giggling even writing that hee hee) and
probably every person living in every bright, sunny cheery city and town
can as well.

Speaking of NY and NJ House, perhaps the fact that there is a huge black
gay population there might have more to do with soulful house than the
grim environment (or lack thereof - although the environs still shaped
the sound a bit). Beyond that, NYC also has a very large contigent of
kids suckled on people like Red Alert and a diverse downtown
scene/record stores that appreciate the house sound.

Also, as long as we're on the contrarian tip, I grew up in Queens. It
was about as grim as a well-lit Walmart. I never saw a gun or anyone
dying in the street. All of our lights worked. My neigbors said _Hello_
to me. Our house got robbed at least once every couple of yours, but
hey, that's one of the fringe benefits of living in NYC - each time you
get robbed, you add another lock to the door. Our front door looked like
a Mr. T starter set after a while. I spent my summers in the woods of
northern NJ. No grim there either.

Yes, you can *surely* find poverty and social ills in NY and NJ, but it
was nothing like what I saw in Detroit when I visited there in the
mid-nineties. The core of the city was toast! That makes for a hell of a
sonic background. Driving through town, the music I had heard for years
and years made all the more sense to me. More than it did in NY, and
more than it did in Boston.

Also, as far as "hard arsed" music is concerned, I notice my age has
something to do with it as well. There's only so much of that bang em
over the head techno, balls to the face techno I can stomach. After
years and years of listening and djing, I really appreciate a soulful
groove, and often, a melancholy approach. Perhaps that's why I came back
to Detroit techno after all these years. Not to imply that I'm not
willing to explore wherever an artist takes me, but when I hear the bpms
speed up on a new record I am hearing, I become a bit suspicious that
it's a means to mask a lack of innovation. Not an absolutist argument of
course, but that's sometimes how records pan out. It's like back in the
hardcore days when the bpms went from 150 to 160 to 170 to hell - the
music had nowhere to innovate, so it just got faster and harder.