I agree with you, except that I'm not sure that performing for individuals in a
country means that you implicitly acknowledge/approve of the regime they live
under. Performing as part of a government organised festival for example might
be a different matter.

Essentially I don't think unelected individuals should be judged on the actions
of their government.