>From what I understand they're covered by home owner's or renters insurance
policies, at least here in the states. Considered the same type personal
property as a mountain bike or television. I just added an extra $10K-20k to
my insurance policy regarding the total value of my personal property. This
is also where I find real value in having my collection listed in Discogs.
Hopefully no one ever has to experience this, but if there were a fire and
every piece of vinyl you owned went up in flames, then you have some type of
record/proof of what was lost. Of course you may not be able to recover out
of print titles, etc. but you could receive some type of financial benefit
by having insurance and a record/proof of what was lost. I am certainly no
expert on the subject though. I would highly recommend looking into it. We
work too hard to buy all these precious vinyls to have someone/thing take
them away so easily.

Speaking of, it seems like I heard Derrick Carter lost his house/record
collection to a fire a few years back. Anyone know about this or am I
dreaming this up?

Adam

-----Original Message-----
From: Toby Frith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 10:19 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: RE: (313) record insurance (OT)

I would have thought that they were covered under house insurance. Mine are.

To be honest though, unless the burglar knew a)you had a load of records and
b) knew about records themselves it's unlikely that they'd steal them
because they're bulky and heavy. It's much more likely that they'll just
nick your electrical equipment.