I'm not sure of the media "deteriorating" per se, but I will give a short
description of popular methods of CD-R and CD-RW techniques.  Basically,
we're dealing with teh same sort of principle as vinyl, accept the laser
in a CD player or CD rom is reflected off of the reflective material in
the CD that is different heights and widths (although it's read a bit
differently than on vinyl [from what i hear - this is the part i'm not so
familiar with]).  The "burning" process actually involves the CD "burner"
hitting a recordable CD that has a reflective material with dye on it.
This dye is manipulated by the laser so that can make the pits and grooves
(although extremely small) so that it can be read by another.  I would
assume that if this dye is cheap enough (or in some cases the actual metal
film is in itself manipulated by the laser) it could be concluded that
over use the "normal" type laser could affect the pits and grooves and
therefore affect the sound.  I've not heard of this, tho, so I won't try
to substantiate or disprove.

cheers,
dense

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Toby Frith wrote:

> Interesting point about file retention. I read somewhere that a lot of
cheaper CD-Rs only last for about 2 - 3 years
before the quality slowly disintegrates.
Not sure how, but I'm sure some tech
 people could source that. I mean,
 how much would you pay for a hard drive of say,
 100 gigs worth of music
 that in essence could be duplicated in a very short time?