£100! I sold mine to Reckless for a couple - this thread is upsetting me cos
most of the records mentioned, I bought when they came out (Azymuth, Bytes,
Sonic Sunset etc) and sold in a moment of madness for peanuts.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nuutti-Iivari Meriläinen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, July 05, 2004 5:15 PM
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: (313) what's the most people are willing to pay for
records?

  Hullo 313ers,

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Aidan O'Doherty wrote:

> just trying to get a feel for the market price of sought-after
> techno/house records. just who are willing to shell out the big bucks,
> especially in such a niche market?

  The most I've ever spent on just one record was in 1997, I went to
London to pick up a copy of Caustic Window's Joyrex J9i 10" picture disc
with a 606 on one side, a 303 on the other. Limited pressing, under 300
copies. I bought it for £100, after that I've been fortunate enough to get
RDJ to sign the sleeve. Besides, I've been a RePHLeX fanatic since around
1990 and I own about every release on the label this far, so to have such
an important release was quite paramount to my obsession. What's it worth
now, I don't know. I'm not selling.

  Other than the above, I've shelled out between 20-50e on some rarities
I've just had to have. Money well spent, I'd say. Recently I obtained a
second copy of Autechre's Garbage EP for 45e. There are quite a bit of IDM
records that fetch substantial amounts on eBay, eg. any early Skam
releases, especially Lego Feet 12", pre-Skam/Warp Boards of Canada vinyls,
obscure/rare labels eg. Likemind, A.R.T., B12, and historically
significant releases like early Black Dog/Plaid/Autechre/AFX vinyls etc.
Some of the most rare items go for 100-300e. It's insane to bid for a slab
of vinyl that goes for 100e++, and then actually pay exorbitant amounts to
get a worn-out, almost unplayable copy of something that might sound like
surface noise, clicks, hiss, pops and crackles. Go figure, but that's IDM
for you. Let's see what happens when Warp's Bleep starts selling all Skam
back catalogue as high-quality MP3s, even Lego Feet.

  And yes, there are plenty of us deranged fools willing to pay an arm and
a leg for somthing that one could've got for £5 when they were released
and no-one paid any attention. Oh, not exactly 313 content, but I thought
I'd share anyway.

  More on target, a friend of mine has been searching for Neil
Landstrumm's Inhabit the Machines 12" on Peacefrog. Last time he checked,
it went on eBay for something like $150+. He even ruminated on actually
bidding +20% over the last bid to be sure to get the record. Totally
loopy, I have to say.

  Cheers,
--
nuutti-iivari meriläinen   gordon at diversion dot org
http colon slash slash www dot diversion dot org slash

Note:

Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent
those of Channel Four Television Corporation unless specifically stated. This
email
and any files transmitted are confidential and intended solely for the use of
the
individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you have received this
email in
error, please notify [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thank You.