Juno, Piccadilly and other online record shops can't host clips of
tracks any more, for one...

Radio stations need to pay fees to the PRS (in the UK) as they do
generate money off the back of the music they play. So do licensed
clubs and bars and so on - part of the reason why people go to
these places is to hear music, and so the people who make the music
need to be paid.

I think the line would be crossed if someone hosted online mixes,
charged people for downloading them, and didn't pass any revenue
on to the artists whose tracks appeared on the mixes.

As it is, online mixes are pretty much promotional devices for
underground records, and there are tonnes of records I own which
I first heard on online mixes. They've replaced mixtapes in that
sense, I'd say.

Ah, mixtapes... <gets all nostalgic>

Brendan