Brian 'balistic' Prince wrote on Mon, 16 Aug 2004 about following:

Quoting Robert Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

No black soldiers in Saving Private Ryan either, which is quite shocking

It is accurate, as far as I know.  American combat units had not yet been
integrated.  Black troops were mostly used in the motor pool and engineering
divisions, as well as by the military police.

According to Ambrose, Stephen E. in "Citizen Soldiers":

"There were no black infantry units in ETO (european theatre of operations). There were nine negro field artillery battalions, a few anti-aircraft battalions, and a half a dozen tank and tank destroyer battalions. Some did well, some average, some were poor."

Also

"Patton had not been eager to accept black tankers, because he fancied that black men did not have quick enough reflexes to drive tanks in battle."

He also writes in the book how nazi POW's in american camps were telling they were treated better in the camps than black people in US army. (It was common that black people were in guard-duty at POW-camps)

Quite sad in my opinion.

(Also remember that Ambrose was known to be rewriting the history in his books a little, so he's not 100% reliable source)

I watched too much History Channel while I was unemployed . . .

i wish i'd see that channel!

sakke
--
System error?:: Success