I remember when I first came across that Flash "guide to
electronic music" that was put together by a bloke called
Ashok or something, which attempted to sum up Detroit
techno with an audio snippet of Hood's "Pole Position"
and a spiel about how Detroit techno is supposed to make
you feel quite disoriented and lost. Of course, that
*totally* missed the point, and I remember he was getting
so many emails from people on 313 that he even put up a
little notice saying "if you're on the 313 list, don't
email me OK!?"...

However, I do think that Hood and Mills count as Detroit
techno (obviously!) even though they're not what might be
called "mainstream" Detroit techno. One of the things I
most like about Detroit techno in general is the fact that
it's quite difficult to pigeonhole - you go to a Detroit
techno party, and you're going to hear a very wide range
of music as the night progresses. Most other styles of
dance music can't really boast that degree of internal
variation, I don't think.

Brendan