I don't think isolationist policies of any kind can help the US at this
stage.
I just don't think Americans have any idea how they are perceived even by
loyal allies right now.
The Australian/US trade agreement has been so one-way for us it's not funny.
American mass culture dominates the world, some is great, some bad, and I am
a big fan of some, but it's something you need to keep in mind.
At the same time the US under Bush is closing itself to 'friends'.
The US, not Europe, is the cultural, political and economic hegemony.
People in other countries outside the US and Europe have to pay absurd - and
way higher - prices for vinyl too. It's a problem worthy of discussion but a
'boycott' won't achieve anything.