No 'hegemony' does not necessarily imply oppression at all.
But the US is like the Roman Empire - a super coloniser - and it will fall
if Americans don't make the attempt to look at themselves from outside and
engage. I always believed Clinton was more inclined that way but that's my
political view.
Unfortunately people outside - even in the UK, Australia, NZ - don't always
discriminate, some people I know even see hip-hop as part of US imperialism,
when it clearly springs from something altogether underground, marginal and
different! They have no idea!
Some people even see US DJs as part of that! It is ridiculous I know, we
here all know, as we know the history, but people outside don't always
discern the differences.
In Australia the arts community has been fighting for a fairer take on the
US/Australian trade agreement as it will remove much of what protects the
Australian TV and film industry and then our popular culture will be
essentially American (with the UK product the alternative).
I love a lot of things that emanate from America and Australians like Heath
Ledger, Russell Crowe (actually he's NZ), Nicole Kidman, Naomi Watts, Cate
Blanchett, Peter Weir, Alex Proyas, etc, have been fostered in the US film
industry but their roots lie in the Australian industry which is now
threatened. I believe in pluralism, that's all.
It's terrible that in the US Tiesto gets so much limelight, but that is
happening everywhere. He's big here too.

<313@hyperreal.org>