I just thought of a few more as well:

A Clockwork Orange (meaty old synths bashing out lashings the beautiful
beautiful ludwig van)

Midnight Express (GIORGIO!)

The Terminator (John Carpenter-esque)

Tron (almost as good as the music in the arcade game)

Lost In Translation (just dreamy and lovely)

I'll also second the call for the Akira soundtrack - it's amazing.
There are actually two versions available - one with just the music, and
the second has dialogue from the film over the top of selected bits of
music. Apparently this is all the rage in Japan.

And pretty much any John Hughes film (before 'Home Alone') has a
fantastic soundtrack - My first introduction to Yello was courtesy of
Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Also - do any UK folk remeber a wicked show on Channel 4 a few years
ago called 'The Trip'? They basically took heaps of (royalty-free) NASA
footage and accompanied it with some wicked proto-idm stuff. They
released a double CD of the soundtrack that was simply wicked.

>>> "Cyclone Wehner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 9/12/2004 10:12:12 am

This sounds good! They don't have to be strictly electronic either. I
am
quite intrigued by some of the soundtracks which have been influential
on
electronic types or appropriated by that wider scene. Eg, how come
Morricone
comps get reviewed in electronic/dance mags (even when no remixes)?
I wonder what the duds could be, hmmm, Oakenfold? Ha.