John Carpenter - Assault On Precint 13.. (is that right?) Essential

That's the one, the main theme is wonderful, also check the soundtrack to his second film 'Dark Star'. Mostly sound clips, but heavily sampled and quite surreal. The film itself is worth checking too, one of the best endings ever.

What about the Blow Up soundtrack.. with THAT Herbie Hancock track?

The whole soundtrack is Herbie Hancock apart from a Yardbirds track I think (?), the track you're probably talking about is 'Bring Down The Birds', as sampled by Delite for 'Groove Is In The Heart'. Great track, but frustratingly short. Another Herbie soundtrack worth checking is 'Deathwish'.

If you're into something more ambient, check Vangelis's score for 'Antarctica', The Edge's (yes, from U2) soundtrack for 'Captive' or Peter Gabriel's soundtrack for 'Birdy'.

On the Phillip Glass tip, his track 'The Grid' from Koyaanisquatsi is awesome - totally blows my mind every time I hear it.