>Does anyone know the legality of having a digital copy of something you
>already own (vinyl or cd) on your laptop? (in the US or in the EU?)
>This is the precedent that if it isn't EU-wide soon might be:
>Norway Proposes New Digital Copyright Law
>http://news.findlaw.com/ap/ht/1700/2-11-2005/20050211080016_40.html
>This kinda scuppers any use of laptops for DJing doesn't it?

Indeed.

However, my point is more about whats morally right or wrong I think.

e.g. I couldn't give two hoots if some judge decides that if I record a
record I've bought into my laptop, then it's illegal. Not bothered one bit.
In fact, if they ever come to my house to arrest me for such a crime, I'll
take my new flamethrower to their faces.

If I buy a record, then I've paid my dues. If I want to record it into my
laptop (into a format that is unavailable to buy), I'll record it in and
use it how I see fit. It's mine, I own it. I spent a minimum of two hours
at work getting tortured by all these idiots for that privelege.

Alex

This e-mail is sent by the above named in
their individual, non-business capacity and
is not on behalf of PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP.

PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP may monitor
outgoing and incoming e-mails and other
telecommunications on its e-mail and
telecommunications systems. By replying
to this e-mail you give your consent to such monitoring.