> I'd heard several people say
they'd seen him and he was rubbish before but I thought they were just
knocking someone who was big ('cos people do that y'know!) but I guess he
must just be inconsistent to the point where the word is an understatement!

  Thanks all for the feedback '

  I asked cause this was the vibe I was feeling about Carl.

  However, I understand that he is an Artist foremost and DJ last.

  My thoughts are towards the fact, that Carl Dj's for himself not for the
  people.  He is an artist.  Dj's are a commodity.

  My initial attraction to dance music, was the liberation from the musical
  conventions that I experienced in clubs and band gigs.  The music was wild
  unfamiliar and unpredictable.

  This changed as the rave scene established itself, and a status quo began
  to form amongst the popular djs.  Effectively common denominators started
  to govern the output of djs and events.

  Around this point I moved cities, and discovered Techno in an urban form and
  was rapidly propelled back into unfamiliar and unpredictable sounds.  Suitable
  I was delighted.

  The interesting fact that I found though, was that the conceptual approach of
  these 'techno djs' was about the destruction of the conventions.  Connected
  with a real desire to explore the abstract and edge of reason.

  These concepts have been firmly rejected by popular dance music.

  Dance floors of loaded people ' refuse to be challenged.  They want to be
  whipped, teased and fondled.  Not rudely interrupted, lead astray and quietly
  reminded of their insignificance against contrast and beauty.

  Perhaps in an in-direct manner, and in the true form of an Artist, Carl is
  being honest.  He is performing in any manner that he sees fit.

  And while this yields the greatest potential, unmatched by convention.  It
  also can revel home normal and human the whole process of being a dj is.

  The pensive sensation I have about seeing Carl play far exceeds any emotion
  I have had about other djs.

  His actions, his music, have always made me keenly aware of the music.

  My concerns, and desires for him to perform a fantastic set are all selfish.

  Right now I am thanking Carl for making me articulate thoughts that I have had
  for years about dj's and dance floors.

  I will be turning up to see Carl play because he is a great musician and a
unique
  individual.  He makes djs look good!  When really we are mostly a bunch of
  disc jockeys.

  There is next to know one who is actually giving dance music and dj'ing
  real intellectual, conceptual, and spiritual merit today.

  With out these things, its all gone pop!

  We all place to many conditions on music and dj's.  Carl is ignoring all of
this
  and establishing his own conditions.  He doesn't let you down. You let
yourself
  down by not listening to his art.

   (don't quote me i'm thinking out loud)

   Feedback and photo's from the Thursday gig over the weekend !!

  .simon