> Why not go MEL -> LAX on Qantas, and LAX -> DTW on Northwest?  2
> non-stops,
> no muss, no fuss.
>
> Other than the fact that Qantas' prices are absolutely outrageous, that
> is :-)

Yeah but you get your own tely - that is sooo important. ;) The food is
better. And you get socks and a toothbrush and so on. Qantas doesn't rattle.
;)

 > (Mid-July MEL-LAX on Qantas prices out to AU $2341 == US $1795.  What a
> rip-off!
>   Hopefully late May is a little better  :-)  )

You get good deals in May even if you book 5 days ahead. I've never paid
that! ;) It's expensive as it's good.

> BTW, comparing Qantas (long-haul, 747's, movie screens, etc.) with US
> Airways
> (short-haul, smaller planes, no movie screens, etc.) is sorta apples to
> oranges ...
> I could say the same about the puddle-jumper I took between Sydney and
> Brisbane :-)

Even on short flights here they feed you.