> oops, reality, sorry! i realize this was a completely ridiculous thing to
> suggest, and i might as well have been talking about dinosaurs and russell
> crowe (!?!?)

I know, I was being playful but I do feel it's an issue. ;)

> i think the festival can only go positive from where it's at. it's never
> made money. maybe now it can proceed with a realistic financial outlook.
> it's changed hands since those controversy's anyways...

Me too. This year seems to mark a turning point. I think Kevin with his
pragmatic approach is a good guy, so I had faith. There seems to be more
positivity this year. But...

> you're trying to coddle this thing imo. and overstating the importance of
> the media. corporate sponsors are surely privvy to more inside information
> than what's printed in newspapers, i think they hear about the sketchiness
> whether it's in print or not. negative media doesnt help, but it's just a
> reaction to REAL problems that can't be swept aside!

This is where I disagree. Sponsors come on board as they want publicity and
to look good, if there is negative publicity surrounding an event they won't
come on board. Sponsors are very sensitive to the media. The media is all
powerful in this regard. There is no denying it. I think far from coddling,
mismanagement should be exposed, but there has been a very negative bias at
times. No one wants to coddle anything, nor should they. One year they
quoted a 313 tourist in a piece who was extremely negative but not
representative of the people who travel to Detroit for the festival. That's
one case of an imbalance.

> i think the management of the festival has played the largest part in the
> festival's struggle, uhhh?? for instance, hugely inflated numbers matched
> with hugely disappointing returns considering those numbers, that make
> potential sponsors scratch their heads incredulously?

Whenever artists run their own events you're likely to have management
issues - I'm sure if Clear Channel ran it there would be no management
issues. But would it be credible? It's a tough one.