>i feel like the sponsors pay attention to the media though, they
>dont want to be associated with something thats drumming up lots
>of bad press. they want something that is being presented to
>people as being wholesome, no matter what the reality is.

good point tom (& jodie), and concisely made..sorry if i was an ass to you
cyclone, but you made me feel stupid for even bringing it up. you had good
points too.

but im inclined to think the degree of mismanagement thats been going on is
beyond keeping a rosy image in the media. i mean, like greg said, crowd counts
off by factor of THIRTY. losing money every year, not even breaking even.
nobody getting paid. etc. regardless of media coverage of these things,
potential sponsors and music industry insiders will know about these things,
and regardless of whether the festival has a bad image or not, will be
repulsed.

but here's the thing -- these are problems from years past...of course if there
is a big controversy over (perhaps intentionally fraudulent) crowd numbers in
past years etc, that could be very hurtful. especially since this year it's
really positive in comparison, things make SENSE, the numbers are right, like
hey look this thing is turning around, hey look we got people managing it with
their heads on straight...BUT there is a delicate but positive PR oppurtunity
here i think, which would mean contrasting how professionally it was handled
this year (especially considering how fast it was thrown together!), with the
problems of the past years. because on it's own, this year was not a success,
it didnt make money just like every other year -- and it's all about money,
right? -- but relative to past years, things look really positive. but you have
to make sure the problems of past years, like any potential controversy on
those wayoff crowd counts, don't overshadow the new positive
direction...something like that??

i think i agree with your drift cyclone...there needs to be some conscientious
reporting...i just dont think you can throw a sheet over the mess of past
years...just need some nice spin spin spin!!