Techno post-dates Chicago House; Dan Sicko mentions in "Techno Rebels"
 that Derrick May and others among the originators made frequent trips
to Chicago in the 80s to get records. Maybe 'offshoot' doesn't do
justice to the creativity of Detroit artists, but it's not like
there's no connection between house and techno.

For that matter, there's a lot of Chicago house tracks that sound
pretty techno, and Detroit Techno records that sound pretty housey.
In fact if there's a dominant style among DJs in Iowa it would be to
make no distinction between Chicago and Detroit records.  I hear house
DJs play techno and vice versa every time I go out.