I stand corrected; I didn't remember what year "Clear" and "Shari
Vari" came out.

As another data point --  when I asked Kevin Saunderson about the
large number of House, and particularly Deep House DJs that were
booked at Movement in 2004, his response was "we don't really see
house and techno as different things."

It reminds me a bit too of the stuff written about early hip hop --
people like Grandmaster Flash thought of what they were doing as
making their own kind of disco. Nearly 30 years on, any commonality
between Disco and Hip Hop would seem unlikely to people who don't know
the history.

I don't know if any of you all get spammed by Jesse Saunders booking
agent, but all his promotional materials make a big deal about him
being "The Originator Of House Music", and having put out the first
House record in 1983.  That claim seems pretty absurd to me. A lot of
people who were making house music early on took a long time to get
around to making records, though they were playing reel to reel
productions in the clubs well before Jesse Saunders' record came out.