He played live at Paxahau at the fest in May in Detroit, and it was dope. Definitely worth catching if he is playing live - the live approach makes things more exciting and dynamic.
~David

z66 wrote:

..

we been talking about the guy before.

imho he's definitely worth checking although i don't like all of his material. his sound is a bit that of retrofuturistic, well produced and danceable, i'd say there is a big Kraftwerk influence. i never liked his big hit "Decompression" tho' except for the time i spotted it in a set at a party (thanks to Matt Chester:) -- worked there pretty well. i've only heard a Breezeblock mix by Mathew and he what he spun was all his own tracks.

although subject's sound doesn't seem anything fresh, there's a something very special about it. i tend to appreciate him more and more, especially as i found older releases on Itiswhatitis Recordings, like:

she is he [IIWII005] 2002
typerope [IIWII007] 2003
love letter to the enemy [IIWII009] 2004

Cyclone Wehner wrote:

I'm curious to get some info on this dude, seeing he's been getting major props for a while and his records are hot and he is rated by Richie Hawtin. I think everyone misspells his name, too. I was also under the impression
that he had a UK connection, but it seems with his label being called
Vancouver, he's Canadian... He's booked to play live in Oz, but does he DJ
much also and what is it like?