Oddly, I have good associations built up around house or techno 12's
with off-key vocals. Y'know, like an old 12 on DJ International or
Eightball. I can't tell you how many times I've heard a vocal
trainwrecks, as a dj beatmatches flawlessly while the vocals roar out
of tune over each other. There's something really awful about it, but
the imperfection sort of puts the humanity back in a dj set. It's a
sort of sonic phenomena that you wouldn't ordinarily hear (hopefully)
where people were singing two distinct songs, wildly out of tune.

Im fine with vocals in techno (while Im not crazy about Atkin's "The
Flow", his single "Ill Be There" is an outstanding cut). Doesnt make a
difference to me. Best sets I've ever heard involved a good mix between
house & techno 12s, with an attentive dj who just knew what to play.
And a good house set with a live singer just brings back
disco/gospel/soul in a good way.

Peter

http://farechase.yahoo.com