Good points here I think.  I like the use of vocals to tell some kind of
story or overall message.
Dropping in vocals somewhere in the middle of a set, unless they are just
sampled bits, is kind of like a head floating in mid-air without a body
"What's that doing there?!" ;)

I love hearing vocals in the middle of a techno set.  It's funny because
old techno records used to have vocals before "minimal" techno hijacked the
sound (bad DJs are to blame for that).  What would Inner City be without
Paris Grey's vocals?

I was talking to a friend about seeing techno shows here in Minneapolis and
he said the last techno show he saw was Derrick May.  Then he mentioned
that Derrick didn't even really play techno, that it was more house.  I
thought that was a strange statement because I thought his set was very
techno.  I do recall he played a fair amount of vocal tracks.
I don't know why most techno dropped vocals. It doesn't make any sense to
me.

MEK