Notes from a fan . . .

I was in San Francisco over the weekend -- primarily to see the
Meters, a band which I have a tremendous affinity for.  The
second record I ever bought (hold on to your socks, kids) in
1969 was "Cissy Strut."  When musicians talk about a beat being
"in the pocket," this record kind of defines that.  The show was
at the Fillmore and ran a little late because of technical problems
in the first set, but I thoroughly enjoyed it

Ziggy Modeliste has emerged as a real showman and really played
it up for his hometown crowd (he's lived in the Bay Area for
years), Leo Nocentelli played guitar faster and with more charm
than anyone has a right to expect, George Porter -- what can
I say, the master of funk bass, and Art Neville is looking and
sounding great.

They're finishing this mini-tour on Friday night at the new Nokia
Theater in Times Square.  Although obviously things are still in
flux I would expect they'll play Mardi Gras and Jazzfest next
year in N.O., and maybe do more touring.  I'm pretty much
not interested in reunion gigs generally, but these guys are worth
seeing and they play fiery hot . . .

The show ran late so I went over to Club RX (where yrs truly
actually played a little at the tenth anniversary of the Mad techno
weekly last Friday), but got there too late to hear John Tejada
and Justin Maxwell's live set.

On to the "Gingerbread Warehouse" -- this place is set up as an
art-gallery-warehouse-speakeasy in the industrial area off Cesar
Chavez.  Tables, chairs, a bar with $3 setups and bring-your-own-
brown-bag-baby, which sounds good but I have to say it was
rather antiseptic, and the place was only half-full and not very
much excitement.  Delano Smith was playing when I arrived,
pretty OK but not thrilling.  Mike Clark started around 2:45
and I stayed until he finished at 4:30.  The last 45 minutes were
pretty darn good and he had at least a few of us out on the floor.

I have to say, though, that alcohol has become the focal point
of the dance music scene in SF to an unprecedented extent.
Don't get me wrong, I like mine as much as anyone, but instead
of contributing to party-hearty looseness it just has become a
big distraction.

So I hope Delano and Mike had a good time, and it was worth
it being in SF this weekend with the 75 degree sunny weather
no matter what, but I do wish there was more of a crowd ready
for serious music action.

Fred