On Nov 21, 2005, at 1:35 PM, gretchen anderson wrote:

I enjoyed John Tejada and Justin Maxwell quite a bit this weekend.

It's interesting that you say that, but to each her/his own, I guess. To me their set wouldn't have been enjoyable if they added five laptops and three analog fx boxes to the sequencers they were operating. What their music lacked in depth and emotion (aside from John Tajada's few emotive but far too short moments) they certainly did not make up for by playing to the crowd, incorporating electro-clash guitar samples and a whole slew of quirky and gimmicky "glitch" sound.

It's also interesting to see how the new so-called "minimal" sound is considered progressive by some magazine music reviewers, while what can be termed "classic" techno, or at least the original "minimal techno" of Hood, Mills, Bell, Shakir and others carries the stigma of being perceived as "soulless, repetitive machine music" to this day, while exactly the opposite is true of the former and the latter.