I think there is a market for downloads of music like this.  I'd
definitley be part of the market.  I can't often make it to a
recordstore and I don't want to be spending half my music budget on
shipping costs for mail ordering.  I also can't stand recording off a
record to hard drive to encode to mp3 just so I can take a track on my
mp3 player.... I can't be the only one...

Jamil

robin wrote:

I agree with Alex, being able to get the audio as wavs at a slightly higher price is something I'd also be prepared to pay for.

Me three (but see below). Or at least in a lossless format like FLAC.

Thing is though is there a big demand for downloads for the kind of music we are talking about here? ie. "underground" (not that I like that term) techno/electro/house?

I mean when I dj I play off a laptop and I've not bought one single digital download yet (i buy vinyl, or with a push, CD).

OR...is it a different market that sits alongside vinyl, so broadening the market out for these things?

Also, when people pay for the DLs of these things they just go on Soulseek don't they? (normally if it was a vinyl rip on soulseek then it could be viewed as a promo device as people wnat the physical article if they like it....but a download??).

It might be I'm an old fogey who's obsessed with buying somat for his money and having racks of vinyl sat at home. :)

Sorry for the waffle but lunchtime discussion got me thinking about this.

robin...