On 2/6/06, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Eh?  That sounds like just about any type of good djing regardless of the
> genre.

i suppose it does, but i have to say that the people associated with
the "beatdown" style are all amongst the best deejays ive ever seen:
delano smith, mike clark, norm talley, mike huckaby, malik pittman,
theo parrish, and rick wilhite (kenny is a good deejay, but not like
those other guys...). honestly, there should be a word for what it is
that they do that almost no other deejay ive ever see does.

> It's pretty vague but then so is the sound these guys are playing
> one a sound is defined and corralled I think you're on the road to ruin

well theyre safe then, because i think of the whole thing as a style
or approach in dealing with deejaying and production. ive watched
those guys play everything from dancehall reggae to acid to techno to
disco to italo to hiphop to jazz to funk to soul etc. what theyre
doing on the surface may not seem different from what other deejays
do, but theres something in the energy those guys have that is
completely original and makes their sets stand out.

i also have something to say about the comment someone else made
earlier about beatdown not being "floor friendly". those deejays and
their tunes are far and away the MOST floor friendly that ive ever
experienced. nearly every one of the best deejay performances ive seen
have been by those guys i listed. and in my own sets, their tunes are
always amongst the most well received. its funny, people hear
something on a record thats "slow" or "chilled" sounding to them, but
theyre not able to extrapolate how those kinds of records work in a
deejay set. ive seen complete pandamonium erupt a countless number of
times to those "slow" records. IMO there's more room for energy in the
slower music.....

tom