On Mar 19, 2006, at 5:13 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
ive been fiending for a copy of this on CD, the shop i worked at was
sold out before i could get one and the format of the album is not
conducive to being split up over 4 sides. but we finally got more
copies in on CD, and i have to say that this album will be one of the
best of the year if not the very best. im a fan of his work as a
hiphop producer in general, but this is more on par with theo parrish
and dj shadow, but if each was manic depressive. i cant reccomend this
album enough. there's no rapping, and its more like a sound collage
kind of thing than anything else. it references many classic hiphop
samples and some more obscure things too, all in a very abstract and
soulful way. alot of it is very sad/melancholy sounding, and for good
reason i suppose. its his masterpiece, i reccomend it highly.

Since Tom's so good at the "There's my taste and bad taste" thing,
I'll throw it back at him.

Sorry, but this album did nothing for me.  It just sounds like one
long drawn-out sample CD, with longer samples.  It's a backdrop in
severe search of a tune.  I'm not saying he's not talented, mind
you - and I can see why Hip-Hop producers would want to work with
him - this type of material could certainly provide great bedrock
stock to put a real tune over the top of.  But it doesn't work at
all for me as a standalone thing, as far as I'm concerned.  It
definitely sounds like the work of someone who works better as a
collaborator than as an artist in his own right.

        - Greg