On 3/21/06, Greg Earle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Since Tom's so good at the "There's my taste and bad taste" thing,
> I'll throw it back at him.
>
> Sorry, but this album did nothing for me.  It just sounds like one
> long drawn-out sample CD, with longer samples.  It's a backdrop in
> severe search of a tune.  I'm not saying he's not talented, mind
> you - and I can see why Hip-Hop producers would want to work with
> him - this type of material could certainly provide great bedrock
> stock to put a real tune over the top of.  But it doesn't work at
> all for me as a standalone thing, as far as I'm concerned.  It
> definitely sounds like the work of someone who works better as a
> collaborator than as an artist in his own right.

i just think youve missed the entire point of its existance. none of
it is "backdrop", as you put it, he structures all the individual
beats to have movement within them. they arent basic beats for someone
to rhyme over, they have narrative more like a dj shadow production,
even if its over a very short period of time.

tom