Quite in a bizarre way, i think Adult would be close.
What i really think is: detroit techno follows the natural line of american black music evolution. Pure emotion, pure "being there", soul thing. What would be the IDM of the 60s, 70s, 80s? Maybe it was music for inteligent people at that time. Some friends of mine think that cybotron's clear is a stupid disposable low-minded track. They prefer aphex twin tracks. I think clear is brilliant. And I think aphex is brilliant too. Maybe IDM is label that people like to be associated with, more than a label to define sound itself. Like indie rock (released from major labels) nowadays. I don't see Detroit techno being IDM. But i can see detroit artists trying to follow the ways of the market - aware of that or not.

Kw

(remember to forgive my bad english and feel free to correct me :-) )