every school year I do an 8 week electronic music unit with my fifth graders (10, 11 year olds)

1 - origins 2 - electro 3 - techno 4 - house 5 - ambient & dub - 6 jungle - 7 downtempo - 8 everything else

looking for suggestions on:
1. "essential" examples of any genre (I figure heads on this list would be able to serve electro, techno, house, but I know lots of you listen to others)

2. "what to teach" for any genre - really simple guidelines for "how to recognize what genre it is" (now, I already have a curriculum for this, but I'm trying to update / verify it) (and keep in mind, 10 + 11 year olds with limited music knowledge have to understand it!)

any help would be appreciated and you can email me privately or post to the list if you think it would be interesting to share. now I'm not trying to start any debates about anything, if you share your favorites let's respect what each others' favorites are!

thx mucho
Rex
Oakland, CA

p.s. not that I won't share either, this playlist from this year has some of my lifetime favs of all genres:

http://djrawman.whatitiz.biz/pl/2006/01/10.html

----
Rex Winterbottom
http://whatitiz.biz/rex