>looking for suggestions on:
>1. "essential" examples of any genre (I figure heads on this list would
be
>able to serve electro, techno, house, but I know lots of you listen to
>others)

>2. "what to teach" for any genre - really simple guidelines for "how to

>recognize what genre it is"
>(now, I already have a curriculum for this, but I'm trying to update /
>verify it)
>(and keep in mind, 10 + 11 year olds with limited music knowledge have
>understand it!)

First I think kids have the most basic, purest and undiluted of musical
knowledge. They know "what they like" and do not feel compelled to
translate their waveform fascinations into words. Second, I personally
think it would serve the kids and the world at large better to teach
them about the common analogues that run through all the different
genres and give 'em a real understanding of what genres (basically
creations of spin media) are used for (to squeeze more dollars from
those that don't know via magazines and commodities that cater to the
"genre niche". Gotta dress, talk, read, and listen the part). Man for
real, don't teach kids that ish. That's the devils work kid.

Kks
Mwnb