-----Original Message-----
From: Klaas-Jan Jongsma [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 04 September 2006 10:14
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: (313) Laptop Debate

Yeah i can remember seeing a gearlist in some article and it is
definitely a gearjunkies wetdream, oh and he has this:

http://www.kirkdegiorgio.com/ModcanB.htm

Now this reminds me of something I've thought for a while ...

I like Kirk a lot - he's the same age as me so he must be a good egg (!)
Plus he's one of the people I challenge myself with to see if he's ever
made a bad record. I certainly don't own any duffers by him. Problem is
- despite the fact that my record collection is peppered with his
releases from year dot, I'm not sure I can hear the spell-binding
difference in the sounds he comes up with, with that rig and the sounds
that it's possible to get from a mid-range analog/digital synth. I just
can't. I still like the last 3 LPs though, so don't get me wrong, but I
just think he could have saved himself some money or something! Just mo.

Having said that, it does illustrate that this software vs. hardware
debate currently raging is not really a 'new paradigm' problem. The same
debates could be heard between advocates and detractors of acoustic vs.
amplified, synths vs. guitars, and naturally, modular versus stand-alone
(or whatever they're called.)

So long as you know that such debates are usually futile, I guess they
can be fun and instructive.