hey

can anyone recommend any verbal or theoretical looks at the deeper dubbier side of techno? i was chatting with my flatmate last night (she's a musician but doesn't much listen to electronic music) and we realised that there were very little in the way of words or ideas that we could use to describe the things we were feeling, listening to some ultra-minimal tape hiss submerged dubby stuff (qnb001, http://netlabel.qunabu.com/).

most of the techno discussion groups i'm involved with circle more around the politics and the new releases and the scene, and less around the actual music, the sounds and the shapes of the noises that in fact make up what it is that we are hearing; what they might mean, what it might mean to listen to them, why it is that we as humans like to listen to what is on some (albeat superficial) levels the same thing over and over again...

theoretically there would seem to be obvious parallels with the 1970s breed of orchestral minimalism (steve reich/terry riley/etc) but from my searches it doesn't look like there's much in the way of writings or ideas connecting the 1970s to the 2000s.

any recommendations for things i should read/mailing lists i should join/forums i should follow?

thanks
damian
--
f r e y