The Acoustica album was interesting and worthwile for a number of
reasons, but the most interesting reason was that it directly
connected the virtuosity of human musicians to the machine's ability
to play music well beyond the physical constraints of human
performance.  The arrangers took music whose character was composed
with no regard for actual performance, and the musicians found ways to
beat the machine at its own game. There was a John Henry VS the Steam
Engine vibe to it.

Of course, virtuosity for its own sake is every bit as empty as having
a computer spew 128th note arpeggios.  The pieces on Acoustica work
for me, work because Richard James composed something worth listening
to, which was enhanced by the excitement of a live performance of
great musicality.

There are some, like Titonton Duvante, who seek to find their own
fusions of western classical music and dance music, but  most dance
music is made quickly with utilitarian goals, and it's brilliance as
listening music is incidental.  UR's live techno bands like Los
Hermanos and Timeline are genuine expressions of the UR aesthetic
because Mad Mike and Buzz Goree and others can actually play, and the
original recordings have live playing integrated with the mechanical
beats.