Tristan Watkins wrote:

The only extent to which I agree with this is that *some* techno musicians
may be concerned about it while they compose. Most don't care at all though.
Why on earth should a detached subculture look to established arts for
guidance or approval? It's mad. I mean it's cool to see the London
Sinfonietta do AFX, but on the aggregate I'd rather let them come to us.

I don't think it's an issue of subcultures trying to gain approval by looking to the academy. If anything, it's the other way around - the academy looks to gain "street cred" by looking to subcultures.
After all, AFX sells WAY more records than the London Sinfonietta.
Certainly you're right though - most techno musicians don't think about the issue at all, which is fine of course.

I will say though, that the recent spate of acoustic AFX covers has generated a lot of interest in BOTH communities. After the Alarm Will Sound/AFX record last year, the group was approached by a bunch of other electronic artists, some fairly well-known, asking about the possibility of future collaborations. (Disclaimer: I'm a member of Alarm Will Sound.)

--
Dennis DeSantis
www.dennisdesantis.com