I have to agree - DJs playing Scan 7's "I'm from Detroit" when they clearly
aren't.
I always thought that techno went beyond place and city.  It's supposed to
be interstellar - bring you beyond where you are (or wish you were just for
street cred).
The UR remix of Kraftwerk's "Expo 2000"  with the "Detroit - Germany"  is
interesting, imo, because it connects Detroit with the world outside.  It
looks towards Europe, something that the originators always did themselves.

MEK