From: Jamil Ali [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 2:55 PM
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Cc: kent williams; Thomas D. Cox, Jr.
Subject: Re: (313) Carl Craig :: The Workout

 From the prairie cat FAQ:
http://www.prairiecatmastering.com/qna.html

Q: Why do my import records sound louder?

A: The standard for mastering vinyl in certain European countries is
different than what we have in America. One big difference is that these

"import" records have a zero level setting which is four decibels higher

in level (volume) than we have with the N.A.B./RIAA standard. Another
difference has to do with encoding and decoding. All records have an
encoding and decoding process which contains an equalization curve. The
RIAA standard is a flat line starting at 0 db at 1K and reaching +19.8
db at 20K and going down to -19.8 db at 20 hz. These curves are
reproduced in their opposite when a turntable is plugged into a phono
pre-amp or the phono inputs of a receiver. That's why if you plug a
turntable into an auxiliary or CD input it doesn't sound right. The
European standard is different. This standard suppresses more high
frequencies during the cutting. This allows them to cut more high-end
(treble) in the grooves at a louder level (volume) while avoiding
distortion than is possible with the RIAA specifications. The
N.A.B./RIAA spec calls for a nominal groove width of 2 millimeters while

the European standard uses a nominal groove width of 1.6 millimeters.
This allows more total time to be cut on a given side at 0 db.

Sounds relevant, though I don't really get it..

--
Jamil Ali
(416) 364-9227 ext. 31