On 3/23/07, David Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

That's not true Tom ... you can have a key on your controller of
choice set to change, say, the drum patterns, loop, synth, etc all at
once. I don't know why you'd want to do that very often though, sharp
transitions can be a little harsh for the dancers/listeners, but
that's personal preference I suppose.

yeah, but unless you roll with a 30 piece band that can play any
instrument or any song in any genre with appropriate vocals and string
sections and the like, "live" dance performances will not allow the
level of interaction with the crowd that a proper deejay set allows.

Of course drum machines aren't "live" either...

yeah, obviously playing with those is very limited in that you cant
get anything sounding like a true live band without preprogramming to
the point where it is no longer "live"!

Anyway, a mix of tracks and parts usually makes for a better sounding
live performance than doing strictly live mixes from all the parts on
the fly, to my ears - except for Stewart Walker who was very live and
quite amazing when I saw him in Chicago.

i dont know if youve seen shawn rudiman live, but he does something
that involves drum machines being programmed on the fly combined with
pre-recorded sequences that he arranges on the fly with the mutes and
tweaks out the synths as well, and also jams live on keys over top.
its about as live as you can really be with electronic music. its very
fun and captivating, but still not better than a deejay set, IMO.

On a side note, I don't really like disco (with a VERY few
exceptions). Except as a joke for it's sort of camp value... There, I
said it! ;-)

youre just listening to the wrong stuff ;)

tom