Well, U Roy is another alltime favorite. iirc I played one of his
tracks at one of the 313 parties in Detroit.

He is another elevated master if you ask me, but he's not a
dub producer.  He started as a DJ (record announcer in Jamaican
parlance; what we call a DJ is the "selector") with Duke Reid's
sound system and King Tubby in the 1960s.  Tubby was already
developing the early version (non-vocal B side) cut-and-mix dub
techniques that underlie all modern dance music.  U Roy melded
with that approach and did sing-jaying for remixes of a long list
of Duke Reid's rock-steady and early reggae hits.  He was
enormously popular in Jamaica throughout the 1970s and cut
innumerable tracks with most every major producer there.

Although many people "took the mike" to introduce and talk over
records in previous times, he more or less invented the modern form
of toasting or chatting with a string of huge JA remix hits in the late
1960s through mid-1970s.  Dub provided the mixing methods for
modern dance music, and Daddy U Roy provided the vocal
techniques for dancehall, hip hop and jungle.

In a nutshell, dub came from version and merged with DJ and turned
the whole world upside down :)

There are many U Roy compilations, the three I like the most are
Crucial Cuts, Dread in a Babylon and Natty Rebel.

U Roy has a MySpace page now.  Among others showing up
to pay respects this week are Michigan & Smiley.  Too too much :)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=61923224

I saw U Roy here in Portland in about 1985 as the by then nearly-
forgotten opening act (!) for a long list of reggae stars-of-the-
moment on a barnstorm US tour.  He appeared in a white suit with
a white bowler hat and utterly charmed the crowd :)

fh