On 6/19/07, kent williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I wasn't taken by the samples of that Victor Casanova record, but
Claude Von Stroke has made some tracks I really like. "Beware the
Bird" sticks with me, and makes me happy when I hear it, and though it
has a jokey title, the music is serious.  And the "Whistler" is kind
of a gimmick track that people will get sick of if it's played too
much, but I like it on its own terms.

"whistler" sounds to me like a wannabe chicago jam. dood sampled
himself playing a resonating filter with the cutoff. pretty weak.
"beware of the bird" sounds like he was listening to carl craig's
recent productions and wished he could be as ill as carl is. he is
not. basically, i dont hear anything original, nor are the knockoffs
or borrowed ideas inspired enough to make them noteworthy in any way.

And the proof is in the playing out IMHO.  CvS gets a visceral
reaction from a dancefloor.  People who want to dance hear what they
like.  Whether we'll be talking about it in a hundred years, well, _I_
won't be talking about anything in a hundred years, so for me it's
right now that matters.

if its really just about a visceral reaction, heavy metal will do that
much better than CvS ever would. trance music gets a visceral reaction
too. but so does good music, though it can do many other things at the
same time and still also be good to listen to in places other than a
club.

tom