On 6/27/07, Tristan Watkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Man, I really never got into that stuff when I lived there. It just sounded
like garbage re-hashed hardcore with incredibly tired beat samples to me. It
still eludes me.

its just another variation on the ghetto tech/booty house/miami bass
family of black dance music. though obviously, this sound goes way
back in baltimore, check frank ski's "whores in this house" and of
course "doo doo brown" by 2 hyped brothers and a dog.

I also think it's hillarious that Tittsworth is making that
stuff now. When I lived there he was a drum n' bass DJ. I never would have
expected that move, especially given the way that DC always lapped up drum
n' bass.

there's alot more money and fame right now in selling local black
musics to white hipsters than there is in drum and bass.

Yeah, go-go is good. They used to have a good prime time Sunday night show
on FM radio. You get bucket drummers all over the streets in D.C. as well,
which is kind of an extension (or maybe the origination) of the go go
rhythm. Phred's a bit more of an authority on this stuf than I am.

i love me some gogo too, ive been breaking out lots of old stuff on
DETT and the like and mixing it up with disco and funk stuff.

I guess
what I was gonna say is that I couldn't see it as farther away from the
Bmore club sound, but your point is taken that it's interesting that these
two isolated musics have popped up in such close proximity to each other.

but really, almost every US city with a large black population has
some variety of local dance music that has sprung up from it. miami
has bass music, new orleans has bounce (check manny fresh's stuff from
way back in the 80s, long before cash money blew up), atlanta had lots
of bootybass stuff and now crunk, memphis had stuff like eightball and
mjg, houston had a similar bassy hiphop sound, detroit has techno
electro and ghetto, chicago has house and booty,  the list goes on and
on. eve going back farther, you have motown in detroit and philly
international in philadelphia amongst others. some of these sounds
blow up and become a more universal cultural touchstone, others never
break out past their backyard. usually though, the people who make it
are the ones who break it out. now suddenly, we're seeing hipster
appropriations become the standard while no one else is getting the
props they deserve. its weak.

tom