my favorite stelarc works are from his suspension period. He used to hang
himself from tall structures by plunging
hooks attached to bungee like cables through specific points along his
body: shoulders, legs, just around the spinal chord, etc. and affixing the
other end of the cable to the tops of the buildings. the hooks were
attached in such a way that his body could not slip off them. To sustain
the pain(here's my favorite part) he previously recorded sounds of his
internal organs in the non-penetrated state by placing a mic
inside of himself, and then, during performance(suspension), played these
sounds back at an extremely high intensity as to manipulate his nerves into
thinking everything was ok. He would hang from the eiffel tower and famous
elevated European railways for several hours. That's just so satisfying on
so many levels.

carlos