I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I've really been digging
the CD compilation of the Every Dog Has It's Day 12"  It's a curious thing
that worldwide he is way better known as a hard techno DJ than as a producer.
For the thousands of people who have seen him spin but never actually
bought his records "Every Dog Has Its Day" would come as a surprise.  Rather
than the banging minimal DJ you'll see in Tokyo or Paris, this work is
resolutely lush and soulful.

My mom is a composer and a fortune teller who told her that she was
able to heal with her music.  'Every Dog' has that feel for me -- the
message of optimism and positivity in the text on the cover is echoed by
music that is an expression of Mills version of future soul.

Mills has always been a genre of one -- the Purposemaker records are
a like Bach's Well Tempered Clavier -- an expression of minimalism that
is widely imitated, but renders all such imitations redundant.  The
'Every Dog' tracks turn away from that work back towards more directly
emotional communication.

For percursors you have to go back to the seminal Detroit techno tracks
which were really a new sort of soul music.  To be a futurist is to
be an optimist, and Every Dog Has Its Day embodies that optimism and hope.
It's also the subtlest, most varied and harmonically lush work Mills
has done to date.  It's a CD to which people who don't 'get' techno can
relate.