----- Original Message -----
From: "werner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "313 list" <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2001 1:41 AM
Subject: Re: [313] Jeff Mills "Every Dog Has His Day" CD

> Not to take the wind out of your sails, but I found Every Dog... vol. 2
(the
> 12") to be quite a lazy production - both in intent and execution. As
someone
> who loved the Other Day and Metropolis I can't help feeling that perhaps
the
> title reveals some of the intention behind the compilation(s) - giving
each
> dog of a track a day to be spun. hmmm...

Mills has had two faces as a producer since the early 90s. A lot of the
material on Atlantis, and the underrated "ambient" b-sides on Axis sound
like a prelude to the Every Dog Has Its Day records. The interviews when the
records came out indicated he spent 5 years working on them (if I recall). I
think the result was a move from tracks to songs (both of which have their
place). I love both sides of what he does. Sometimes I think one mark of a
good producer is being able to generate a wide array of reactions to their
music, creating divisive camps of fans, reflecting their distinct tastes. If
that standard has any value, then Every Dog Has Its Day marked a leap in
Mills' artistry.

Tristan
http://ampcast.com/phonopsia <- Music
http://phonopsia.tripod.com <- Mixes, pics, thought, travelogue & info