i find this whole thread about dancing/not dancing and talking/not talking
to be very interesting because it gets at people's entire conception about
what a party should be. there's the classic "concert" conception of a
musical event where the audience is supposed to stare at the performers and
move only within the confines of the small space they have staked out for
themselves. then there is the "nightclub/rave" conception which is all about
movement and interaction with other members of the audience and emphatically
NOT about sitting there staring at the musicians.

personally, if i wanted to go to a musical event where i was supposed to
shut up, sit still and listen politely, i'd go hear a chamber quartet. maybe
it's just me ....

i would never get up on stage in front of a musician during a PA, but i see
no problem with talking to your friends, dancing, trainspotting, or engaging
in any other activity at a club-style event ... unless perhaps your
activities result in skipping needles, unplugged equipment or the like. (i
have a friend who once sat down underneath a stage and plunged an entire
room of a london club [turnmills] into blackness by sitting on a power cord.
oops!)

now that live electronic performances have become more widespread, however,
different show-behavior ideologies seem to be competing within the same
event. my favorite example of this EVER was at a stereolab/mouse on mars gig
in '97 in chicago when the sweater-rock crowd just ... STOOD there, gawking
at the wacky germans dancing around and diddling their machines onstage.
they literally had NO idea how to loosen up or dance or have a good time. it
was hilarious.

--brian