muchmusic did a pretty good special on detroit about a year back.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: [313] Pump up the Volume
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 04:24:51 GMT

Damn, that show sounds dope! You guys are lucky over there. I can't
imagine seeing anything that in depth on American TV these days. The
closest thing I've seen to something like that was a program on PBS one
time a few years ago. It was a documentary, that I think was of Canadian
origin anyway, about Hip-Hop and Electronic music. In addition to De La
and Grandmaster Flash, they had a brief segment with Derrick May talking
about the Detroit sound. Anyone ever see that? (I apologize if this has
already been discussed to death on this list)

-J

> Just watching tonights episode, pretty mad.
>
> Hearing Joey Beltram talk about how he couldn't understand how he got
labeled as a techno
producer after making Energy Flash and that to him it was just a house
tune. I think it
really says a lot for the New York sound of the time. When I interviewed
Frankie Bones he
said that none of the music from Detroit really began to filter into NY until
the early
90s and that all the early Nu Groove stuff that they all did really was
concieved in
isolation from techno.

> I have to say, its a pretty good programme and has been telling it pretty
much how it was,
even if Derrick May did slate England for labelling music too much :)

> Never pay another Internet phone bill!
> Freeserve AnyTime, for all the Internet access you want, day and night,
only £12.99 per
month.